How Do I?

The search box below only searches text written in the below areas.  To search the entire site, please use the main search box above or from the homepage.

No answers matched your search

Animal Control

Montville Animal Shelter provides services to Boonton Township residents.  If you are dealing with a sick, injured or orphaned animal please call the Montville Animal Shelter at (973) 334-6410 immediately.

The Township requires that all dogs  be licensed annually. A certificate of rabies vaccination (valid through November of the license year) is required to obtain a license.  The Township does not license cats.

Licenses can be obtained by contacting the Municipal Clerk's Office at (973)402-4002 or email

A Free Rabies Clinic for cats and dogs is offered in November.  To protect your pet from rabies you are urged to have your dog or cat vaccinated. You will not receive a license without proof of rabies vaccine.

Code Enforcement / Building Department

Permits are a requirement of the State of New Jersey to ensure safety.  The Department of Consumer Affairs, Division of Codes and Standards oversees the Uniform Construction Code.

No.  However if you live on a busy street and anticipate parking issues please notify the Police Department.

Households may only hold two sales per 12 month period.


Flood look ups can be performed by individuals seeking to see if their home is within a flood zone by visiting the following website:

Boonton Township is responsible for services on municipal roads. County roads are serviced by the Morris County Department of Planning and Public Works, PO Box 900, Morristown, NJ 07963-0900 Telephone:  973-829-8120

The COUNTY ROADS in Boonton Township are:

  • Powerville Road
  • Old Denville Road
  • Boonton Avenue

Garbage and Recycling

Township residents must contract directly with a private hauler.  There is a list of haulers available on the website under utilities.

The Township does provide recycling collection and a recycling depot.  Please visit the Recycling page of the website for information regarding the recycling program.

Municipal Clerk

CLICK here for the Open Public Records Act (OPRA) request form.  If emailing request form, please direct to

The Township Committee meets at 7:00pm on  the 2nd Monday of each month, with some exceptions.

All correspondence to the Township Committee should be directed through the Office of the Municipal Clerk.

The Code of the Township of Boonton includes all ordinances in effect for the Township.  To view the Township Code, agendas, minutes and other public documents, click here .

To register to vote, change your address, or change your name, you must complete a voter registration application and mail to the Morris County Board of Elections at 10 Court Street, PO Box 900, Morristown, NJ 07963-0900

All voting takes place at the Municipal Building, 155 Powerville Road.  Polls are open from 6:00AM to 8:00PM

Passport application and renewal forms can be downloaded from the federal State Department . Passports take approximately 4 weeks before they are received. Rush Services are available.

You may apply for a passport in person at the Morris County Clerk's office in Morristown.

Yes, there are two notaries on staff.  There is no charge for Notary Services.

Municipal Court

If you were issued a summons for a payable offense you may pay online at; mail a check or money order  to the Violations Bureau .

Both are located in the Municipal Building, 155 Powerville Road.

Generally, the court date means the date uncontested violations must be paid.

You must call the court prior to the date on the summons for further instructions.  The most likely reason is that the officer failed to check the box for a mandatory court appearance violation.  The date on your summons is the day you must appear in court.

The ticket will not appear online until it is entered into the ATS system by the court.  Local police tickets are generally entered within 4 days of issuance.  State and County Police tickets are generally entered within 7 days.

No.  All contested matters must be heard in open court and on the record.

Parks and Recreation

The Township participates with the Borough of Mountain Lakes and the Town of Boonton for programs such as Soccer, Lacrosse, Football, Wrestling and Basketball.  Please visit the recreation page for information and links to these programs.

Please contact the to fill out a field request form.

Please note that during the season the Rockaway Valley School, Soccer, Football and Lacrosse programs have priority for use of the fields.

Please visit the Recreation page to learn about programs and registration.

Police Department

Emergency Response: 9-1-1

  • Main Police Desk: (973) 402-4000(Non-Emergency)
  • Records Bureau: (973) 402-4024
  • Departmental Fax: 973-402-4025

Parking is prohibited on all streets between the hours of 2:00am - 6:00am.  In unusual circumstances, such as overnight guests or driveway repairs, you may call the police department and request permission to park overnight.

Public Works

For potholes on township streets, contact us.  Someone from our road division will come out and assess the pothole.  We will either repair the pothole or inform the responsible agency if is not under our jurisdiction. Residents are encouraged to report any potholes immediately.

When a major snow storm occurs the main streets and hills are plowed first for emergency vehicle access, then all other streets.  Our fleet of plows and salters allows us to clear many streets at the same time.  It is our desire to clear all streets quickly efficiently and with the least inconvenience to our residents.

If you see debris in the catch basin causing water not to drain please contact us and we will have some one come out and clear it. If the catch basin is damaged, contact us and we will repair it. If the basin is on a County road, we will make the appropriate referral for cleaning or repairs.

Please contact us at (973) 402-4002 if a street sign is damaged or down (parking restrictions, street name, directional signs) we will send someone from our traffic maintenacne division to repair or replace it.  If the sign belongs to the County we will contact them.

Shade Tree

In general, township trees are located either on town property or within ten (10) feet of the curb line on town streets.  If a tree needs to be trimmed or removed, contact the  the Clerk's Office (973) 402-4002 and our inspector will come out to assess the condition of the tree and determine what the tree needs.  The township does NOT service trees on private property or along county  roads except in emergency situations.

Please contact the Clerk's Office for permission.

Tax Assessor

The amount of your bill depends on two factors.  The first is the assessed value of your property, which is the responsibility of the Tax Assessor.  The second is the tax rate.  This rate is set by the budgets of taxing entities (i.e. county, municipalities, and school boards) in which the property is located.  The Morris County Board of Taxation then strikes the tax rate from the total amount of taxes needed to be collected.

A tax appeal is not an appeal of your tax bill but rather the amount of your property's assessment.  The amount of taxes you pay is never an issue during an appeal because neither the Assessor nor the Morris County Board of Taxation has control over budgets submitted by municipalities, schools, counties or fire districts.

Generally speaking, improvements that increase the market value of a property will increase the assessed value.  The following are a few examples of items that will increase the assessed value of your property:

  • Additions and alterations
  • Modernization of kitchens
  • Addition/moderizations of bathrooms
  • Central Air Conditioning
  • Fireplaces

The filing deadline is April 1 of the tax year in question.  This means that the appeal form must be received on or before April 1.  Date of mailing is not used in determining whether an appeal is timely.

The senior citizen and veteran (including widow/er of a veteran) property tax deductions are $250 for each.  Applications are available online by searching for Tax Forms on this website.  For more information including eligibility requirements, please visit the New Jersey Division of Taxation website at - under Property Tax Relief.

The deadline for applying for these deductions is Dec. 31.

Tax Collector

Tax payments may be made with check, cash, money order, e-check

Payments May Be Mailed to:

Township of Boonton
Tax Collector
155 Powerville Road

Boonton, NJ 07005

*** Please provide the accurate block/lot or account number on all payment methods to insure that your account is properly credited ***

A dropbox is also located by the main (rear)  entrance of the Municipal Buildingfor after hours payments.

Tax bills are mailed out once a year, generally in July or August.  New bills are not mailed when there is a change in ownership, you must contact the tax office and request a bill.

Property taxes are billed in Boonton Township on a calendar year, January 1st to December 31st. The First Quarter covers January-March; Second Quarter covers April-June; Third Quarter covers July-September; and Fourth Quarter covers October-December.  Payments are due in the middle of each quarter on February 1st, May 1st, August 1st, November 1st. There is a 10 day grace period. On the 11th day, interest is calculated back to the 1st of the month. If the 10th falls on a weekend or legal holiday, you have until the next business day to make payment. We cannot accept postmarks. Failure to receive a tax bill does not exempt you from paying taxes or the interest due on delinquent taxes.

If your tax bill states “ADVICE COPY”, your mortgage company has received the actual bill for payment.  The “Advice Copy” is provided by the Township as a courtesy copy for your records.  If your bill does not state “ADVICE COPY” and you have a mortgage, please contact your mortgage company and ask them to submit the form that will provide us with their identifying information.  If does not state “ADVICE COPY” and you do not have a mortgage, you are responsible for paying the tax and you must use this bill to pay the taxes.

All appeal questions should be directed to the Tax Assessor’s Office (973) 284-4956.

Please submit a written request for a redemption amount, with a date that you will be making the payment, along with the block/lot/lien number.  This payment must be certified funds, cash, or money order.  Send request for redemption to:

Township of Boonton
Tax Collector
155 Poweville Rd
Boonton, NJ  07005    

Fax Number: (973) 402-4004

Your request should be directed to the Tax Assessor’s Office (973) 40-4004 or email at

You will be sent a letter from the Assessor after the improvement has been issued a Certificate of Occupancy.  The letter will advise you of the additional assessed value due and what year(s) are involved.  The new assessment will cause additional bill(s) to be issued.  The bill called an “Added Assessment Bill” will be sent out in October and due November 1st (4th qtr.) of the current year and February 1st and May 1st. of the following year.  The added assessment bill must be combined together with your original tax bill that was received in June.  When the following year’s tax bill is generated the following June, all taxes will be combined into one bill.

A deed is an official document, recorded at the county level and a new deed has to be recorded to add or delete anyone from the official record of ownership.  We recommend that you seek legal assistance from an attorney or title company specializing in property transactions.  If you are listed as a Joint Tenant no change is required but is recommended and one needs to bring an original certified copy of the death certificate to the Tax Assessor.

Vital Statistics

  • The marraige or civil union license must be obtained from the Registrar in the New Jersey municipality in which either applicant resides, if one or both is resident of New Jersey. If both parties are not residents of New Jersey, the license must be obtained from the Registrar of the municipality where the ceremony is to be performed and is only good for use in that municipality.
  • Both applicants and one witness(who may be a relative) must appear before the Registrar to apply for the Marriage Certificate, minimally 72 hours before wedding date.
  • There is a 72 Hour (3 Day) waiting period before the license is issued.
  • Proof of residency must be provided.
  • A birth certificate may be requested for proof of age.
  • Social Security numbers must be provided.
  • Divorce decrees or death certificates must be presented to the Registrar for examination.
  • The marriage license is filed in the town the marriage took place in (not necessarily where it was applied for).

  If marriage, birth or death occurred in Boonton Township you can  submit to the Registrar a comleted Application for Certified Copy.pdf form with detailed information, requesting copy of the certificate.  Also send $10.00 and a copy of your Picture ID (Driver License) and a self-addressed return envelope.

Water and Sewer

Water and bills are mailed on a quarterly basis.

Bills can be paid in person at the Municipal Building, dropped in the payment box at the main rear entrance or mailed.  Please remember, it is never a good idea to leave cash in the drop box.  The Township of Boonton is not responsible for cash payments deposited into the drop box.

All bills are due and payable within thirty days of the billing date.  Interest will accrue at a rate of 8% per annum.

Final meter readings are required if you are selling your home or if a tenant is moving out.  Please contact our office at least 24 hours in advance to schedule a final water meter reading.  Please call 973-402-4003 to schedule.

If you like to change where your bill is sent to, please call (973) 402-4003 or email

Please Note:
All water bills are mailed to the property owner's tax mailing address on record, as default.  If you would also like to have your tax mailing address changed also, you must contact the Tax Assessor's Office at (973) 402-4004.


A zoning permit is required for all types of development applications including and not limited to when a house or garage is constructed or altered or when a homeowner installs a new patio, shed, or fence.  Contact our office if you are unsure if a permit is needed or not.

As per the New Jersey State Municipal Land Use Law the Zoning Office has 10 business days to approve or deny a zoning permit.

It depends upon the application that is being submitted; however, generally you will need to submit a copy of the zoning permit zoning application.pdf along with a copy of your survey to scale showing all existing and proposed conditions along with the application fee.  Call the Zoning  Office for more detail.

Please contact the Zoning and Planning Office since the forms you will need to complete will depend upon the type of application you are submitting.

All sheds must be located ten feet from your rear lot line, ten feet for your side lot lines and a minimum of 10 feet from any principal structure (i.e. house or any porch, deck, or steps attached to your house) on your lot.

All pools (both above and in-ground)  must be located a minimum of 10 feet from any side or rear lot line and must be located a minimum of 10 feet from any principal structure (i.e. house or any porch, deck, or steps attached to your house) on your lot.  Pools cannot be located in any front or required side yard.  All setbacks for pools are measured from the apron around to pool and not the water's edge.

Please contact the Zoning  Office for specific information.

You will need to contact the Township Engineer at 973-361-0161

You will need to contact the Tax Assessor's Office at (973) 402-4004.